Whether it’s a certain controversial family surveillance video or a star-packed faux movie trailer, Beyoncé has been a hot topic of conversation here at Julep HQ lately—even more than usual!
But it’s not just her high-profile career moves or mysterious family drama that get our attention. Mrs. Carter has also directly and indirectly taught us tons of things about beauty. Here are the top five beauty lessons we’ve learned from Beyoncé (so far):
1. Never stop experimenting. Queen Bey has said that growing up in her mother’s hair salon allowed her to be more open to experimenting with her hair and makeup: “I’m still always doing something to my hair—cutting layers, or bleaching it, or taking it upon myself to copy fashionable hairstyles without knowing the necessary techniques.” And her fearless experimentation shows no signs of stopping. In the last year, she’s switched up her look between cascading curls, a wavy bob, a blonde pixie cut, and long braids.
2. Always challenge the idea of conventional beauty. Recently, Bey asked her fans what their idea of beauty was, calling upon them to redefine the word by posting photos, videos, and captions using the hashtag #whatispretty. The results were both inspiring and encouraging. Check out some of the best responses in this heartwarming montage.
3. Don’t distract from your beauty—enhance it. When discussing her beauty icons, Beyoncé mentioned that what they all have in common is that they all found signature looks that worked for them.
“I really appreciate Audrey Hepburn, and of course, Marilyn [Monroe]. I like risk takers like Cher and Diana Ross. I like people that find what looks really good on them. I think that’s the most important tip,” she told Allure. “There are things that I love that I know won’t work for me—these women found the perfect silhouette for their bodies, the perfect cut of suits and dresses, the perfect hairstyle. Their choices made them more beautiful rather than distracting from their beauty.”
The lesson? Find what looks good on you and embrace it.
4. Keep it simple when it comes to skincare. Bey is known for keeping her skincare regimen short and sweet.
Her tips for a clear complexion? Always go to bed with a clean face, stay hydrated, slather on the sunscreen, and use primer before applying makeup.
5. Don’t forget about those nails. With everything going on in life, sometimes it’s hard to squeeze in some TLC for your hands. (We’re here to help with that!) However, Mrs. Carter has said in the past that she always makes time to maintain her hands.
Her finger tips include giving her nails 24 hours to breathe in between manicures, and massaging a vitamin E capsule into her nails for shine and health.
And have fun with color! After Bey sported a bold nail look to the Grammys this year, her manicurist told People, “She’s not like, ‘Now I’m wearing nude nails, because I’m a mom.’ She’s a youthful spirit. She knows how to have fun and still be tasteful. If she doesn’t have a design on every nail, she still chooses a fun color. She has an eye for color and style.”