As the weather warms up, our thoughts naturally turn to sunny skies, sandy beaches, and freshly shaken margaritas. But while relaxing in a tropical destination is one of our favorite ways to relax, being around all that sun and saltwater can wreak havoc on our skin, nails, and hair.
… Without the right beach bag beauty packing list, that is!
And we’ve got that packing list for you, right here. Whether you’re planning a spring getaway or simply thinking ahead for your summer vacation, here’s everything you need to be a golden goddess of the sea:
– Broad spectrum sunscreen: This is a no-brainer, but it still needs to be said: protect yourself from those damaging UV rays! You’ll probably want to bring two sunscreens: one oil-free, high-SPF (50+) version formulated for your face, and one for the rest of you. Whether you prefer lotions or sprays is really up to you, but we prefer lotions, because it’s easier to make sure you haven’t missed a spot.
– Waterproof mascara. A bathing beauty’s best friend, waterproof mascara is a must-have on vacation even if you don’t plan on doing a lot of swimming. Whether you get caught in a tropical downpour, makeup-melting temperatures, or the middle of a crowded dance floor at 2 AM, you’ll be thankful to know your lashes are intact and smudge-free.
– Bare Face Cleansing Oil: Have we mentioned that beauty editors love Bare Face as much as we do? It must be because it’s the ultimate multitasking facial cleanser, and it’s especially great for oily skin—which we all know can be an issue in tropical climates. Able to dissolve even the toughest waterproof makeup, it rinses clean without over-drying your skin and has an arsenal of natural ingredients that soothe, nourish, and hydrate —the perfect nightcap between days spent out in the sun.
– Deep conditioner: Just say no to hotel conditioner! The combination of sun, chlorine, and saltwater is a triple punch to your strands, so pack some sort of deep conditioning treatment or hair mask to undo the damage–or prevent it before it starts! The Beauty Department recently posted a great tip that we intend to use the next time we take a dip: apply your deep conditioner before you go swimming, and then tie your hair into a top knot or braid. The conditioner will treat and protect your hair while you swim, and you’ll come out of the water with soft, nourished locks.
– Lip conditioner: Dry, chapped lips are a summer bummer, but they don’t have to happen. Tote along a little tube of Luxe Lip Conditioning Treatment to keep your pout feeling hydrated and looking plump. Bonus: the metal tip has a cooling effect that will feel even more refreshing in the heat.
– Lip gloss: A tube of lip gloss is the perfect low-maintenance way to add a little color and shine to your beach look. It won’t dry out your lips, and you can apply it without a mirror! Julep lip gloss in Enchanted is a sheer watermelon shade that screams “summer fun.” Just make sure to apply some SPF lip balm underneath.
– A head scarf: Add a little pop to your poolside hairstyle with a vibrant head scarf. It will keep flyaways from getting in your face when ocean breezes blow, and help your damp, messy bun look polished when you go from the beach to the boardwalk for lunch.
– Foot crème: It’s one of vacation’s ultimate ironies that the same week you want to show off your pedicure and favorite sandals is also the same week that your feet will be put to the test by sand, salt water, and lots of walking. Bring some Mint Condition with you and apply it after your shower to ward off dryness and cracked heels before they happen. Bonus: moisturized nails and cuticles hold on to nail polish longer, so a nightly foot crème session will actually prolong your vacation pedi.
– Bright nail polish: One of our favorite ways to get amped before a vacation is to get or give ourselves a mani and pedi in a bright, happy shade. But make sure bring the bottle with you, along with some travel-friendly polish remover packets, in case you need to fix any chips or make touch-ups. Or, even better: bring three bright, happy shades in convenient mini bottles (and a long-wearing top coat!) with The Resort Collection.
– Blotting papers: The last thing you want to do when it’s hot outside is to pile on more makeup, so swap your face powder for a pack of blotting papers to sop up oil and remove shine on the fly.
– Beach Tonic Dry Body Oil: This fresh-smelling body oil spray is great for the beach, because it’s just as moisturizing as lotion, but much more lightweight, and it’s intended to be sprayed onto damp skin, so you can spritz yourself directly after you get out of the water.
– Sea salt texture spray: Despite what the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition editors would like us to believe, it’s pretty near impossible to walk out of the ocean with perfectly beachy, tousled waves—and it’s also not nearly as nourishing as bringing your own sea salt spray. Our Sea Salt Texture Spray is infused with marine botanicals that moisturize and protect hair from sun damage while also giving that coveted beachy texture and volume. Your hair will look effortlessly stylish and smell amazing—and no one needs to know it came from a bottle.
Those are our beach bag beauty essentials! Did we miss one of your must-haves? Tell us your beach beauty tips and staple products in the comments!