The annual Costume Institute Benefit, affectionately known as the Oscars of Fashion, had the fashion world and us at Julep in a frenzy as it kicked off Monday night. Celebrating the PUNK: Chaos to Couture exhibit at the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (on display to the public May 9th-August 14th), the event had celebrities crowning the red carpet, donning their best punk get-ups. From ridiculous headdresses to edgy cut-outs, the sea of mostly black-clad famous models, actresses, designers, singers, DJs, actors, and athletes made sure to wear traffic-stopping pieces that has us drooling with envy. Here we have compiled a few of our favorite looks from fashion’s biggest night!
1. Emma Watson showed off some skin in her sexy cutout dress by Prabal Gurung. A hard look to pull off, the hand-draped gown made Watson look edgy and glamorous rather than sleazy and careless. Her toned abs (jealous!) and her slicked back hair were the perfect finishing touches to her daring outfit.
2. Although Jennifer Lawrence didn’t look as punk as her red carpet counterparts, we loved the gothic chicness of her black Dior gown. Her veil and red lips exuded classy confidence while her studded heels perfectly complemented the length of her dress. Demure and pretty, Lawrence deserved another Oscar- this time for Best Dressed.
3. We love how Nicole Richie went all out and dyed her hair a greyish-white. She rocked her new do with plum lips and a beautiful (and affordable!) Topshop dress. The girliness of her dress toned down the statement that her hair and lips made, perfectly exemplifying the Punk: Chaos to Couture theme.
4. Innocent country singer no-more, Taylor Swift was stunningly unrecognizable in a studded J. Mendel gown. The unusual design of her dress, from the cutouts at the top to the asymmetrical draping at the bottom paired with her sultry dark makeup and half up-do led to a flawless, pretty-but-punkish look.
5. Jessica Alba, always the effortless beauty, impressed us once again with her leather Tory Burch dress. With its sexy but somewhat modest cutouts and skin-tight fit, Alba’s black gown screamed elegance with a touch of punk. Her chic topknot focused all the attention on her dress, where it should be.
What do you think of these looks? Have any other favorites? Please let us know in the comments section below!