So you open your face lotion that you have used religiously for years and years, and you notice it’s smelling a little funky. You wonder, is this old or am I just smelling things? How long does is this stuff supposed to last anyways? I wonder if my other lotions and shampoos are old too? Ask no more… we have found the answers for you.
- + Nail polish: Of course we want you to keep your Julep polish as long as possible, and as long as it’s unopened- you can. After opening, nail polish has an average of one year of optimal use (before you start to see a change in color or consistency). Minimizing exposure to oxygen by making sure that your cap is sealed extra tight or storing your polish bottles upright in the fridge will also help extend the longevity of your nail wear.
- + Face Lotion: Face lotion, as they contain various ingredients and are sensitive to light, will last you about 6 months to a year. If you notice that your face lotion starts to smell funny, has changed colors, or has had a change in consistency, it’s time to say goodbye.
- + Facial Cleanser: Same as face lotion, you’ve got 6 months to a year. Tip: if it comes from a pump, it lasts longer. If it comes from a jar, use a disposable plastic spoon (instead of your fingers). The less germs in there, the better.
- + Facial Toner: Your toner will last you a solid year.
- + Perfume: Perfume really can last forever, but it starts to lose it’s scent around the 2 year mark. To keep it fresh for longer, you should store it in the fridge. Light & heat will make it age faster. Just be sure to keep it away from foods with a strong scent, as the will alter the scent of your favorite fragrance.
- + Deodorant: This one is a big one! After 2 years your deodorant will become less effective, and less effective deodorant means you may get a little stinky. Which is obviously not something you or your friends want.
- + Shaving Cream: Shaving creams are full of various oils and emollients and over time (2 years) they will begin to dissipate, become less effective, and lose some of their yummy scent. To make it live up to it’s long lasting potential, you should store it in a dark, dry, and cool place.
- + Conditioner: Again, due to emollients and other ingredients, creamy conditioner’s will last two years tops. Just keep an eye on any change in color or consistency, if it curdles or changes colors, head to the store and get a new one.
- + Hair Gel: Be sure to store this stuff correctly (in a dark/dry/cool place) and it will last you 3 years.
- + Body Lotion: Unlike lotion for your face, body lotion has a much longer shelf life of 3 years.
- + Hair Spray: Same as hair gel, if stored properly it will last three years.
- + Shampoo: Obviously your shower isn’t dry or cool, but your shampoo should still last you about 3 years.
- + Body Wash: Just like shampoo, this stuff can handle the test of time (3 years)- even when left in the shower.
(source, source, source, source, source, source, source, source, source, source, source, source, source)