Idea Lab – January/February 2014: The Julep Plié Wand, a new, innovative way to polish your nails
Power the Plié Wand - Help us reach our $200,000 stretch goal!
UPDATE 2/14/14: Wow! We’re thrilled about the enthusiastic response we’ve received so far. Now that we’ve hit our initial goal, we’re setting our sights even higher—and adding a fun incentive. When we reach our $200,000 stretch goal, we’ll develop an exclusive new color for everyone who participated. So if you’ve already reserved your Plié Wand, make sure to send this page to some of your polish-loving friends so they can get in on the fun.
When women talk, we listen. And there’s one thing we hear all the time: “I’m really bad at polishing my own nails.” Trust us, it’s not you—you just don’t have the right tool! That’s why we joined forces with the award-winning design and innovation firm IDEO to create an ergonomic nail polishing tool that allows for more accuracy and better control, especially with your non-dominant hand. The result? You’ll spend less time fixing mistakes and more time enjoying your manicure.
Imagine if you’d spent your whole life writing with a pen cap, and then someone finally handed you a full-size pen. That’s what it feels like to polish with the Plié Wand.
True innovations are few and far between in the nail industry, and we’re confident we have one on our hands (pun intended). This is a huge idea, but we’re still a small company. While we’ve been able to produce a limited run of Plié Wands for May Maven Boxes, we need your help to make more.
If you’re a Maven: Love this idea? Please reserve your May box now by selecting the “Just for Mavens” funding option. This ensures that you’ll be the proud owner of one of the very first Plié Wands.
If you’re not a Maven: You can call dibs on one too! Choose one of our funding options (featuring lots of exciting extras) and you’ll get your Plié Wand soon after the Mavens.
The Plié System includes Plié Wand, extra cap, dotting tool & striping brush
The Julep Plié Wand
Ergonomically designed to function as a natural extension of your hand, the Plié Wand offers an upgraded DIY mani: more accuracy, better control, and a lot more fun.
- Long, balanced handle offers stability, comfort, and control, especially in your non-dominant hand.
- Adjustable design twists, pivots, and bends so you don't have to. This keeps your polishing hand steady and puts less strain on your wrists.
- Interchangeable dotting tool and striping brush help you unleash your inner artist.
How it Works:
- Snap magnetic Plié Wand into a new Julep polish cap.
- Unscrew cap and start polishing.
- Experiment with different grips and angles in each hand until you find a comfortable combination that feels right.
Julep Plié Color Magnet + new Plié caps = convenient (and chic!) storage and display
- Why did you decide to design a new polishing system?
- We wanted to solve all the common polishing pain points we've heard about (and experienced) over the years, including messy results, hard-to-grip caps, and trouble polishing with the non-dominant hand. So we went through 230 prototypes until we found the tool of our dreams.
- What does this mean for my existing polish collection?
- If you have a Julep polish collection, we have a plan. (A GREAT plan that includes FREE Plié caps to make it easy for you to convert your collection). Details to follow closer to our launch, but rest assured we'll take good care of you. After all, collectors like you are our most loyal Mavens!.
- Why are you crowdfunding?
- We're still a small company, and we can't afford to order as many Plié Wands as we'd like. Because we trust and value our customers' feedback so much, we decided to turn the next step over to you. By reserving your Plié Wand today, you'll be showing your support for this idea and helping us fund a larger production run.
- How has the Plié System been designed to improve accuracy and control?
- We worked with some of the best product designers in the world (the amazing team at IDEO) to create the Plié Wand. We considered not just the leverage and control offered by the weighted, extended handed but also the length of the polish brush stem and the shape and texture of the cap grip. A funny story is that the bend of the Plié was actually inspired by a burly tattooed designer who’d never polished his nails in his life. Confused when he saw us contorting to polish, he suggested that we make the tool bend instead of our hands and wrists. Brilliant!
- Why is the cap design changing?
- This change stems from lots of careful consideration and research. First and foremost, we wanted to find a way to give DIY manicurists more accuracy, control, and fun. Working with IDEO, an award-winning design and innovation firm, we explored 230 prototypes until we found one that addressed our primary polishing pain points. While the new cap is designed with the Plié system in mind, we’re aware that not everyone who purchases Julep polish will have a Plié Wand. So it was extremely important to us to ensure that the new cap would not take away from your current polishing experience. The difference in cap length is minimal, and should actually improve your grip.
- I'm a Maven. Do I need to do anything to get a Plié Wand?
- We've already ordered a limited quantity for May boxes, but some Mavens may need to wait until a later run has been completed. We know how excited many of you will be about this idea, so we want to make sure you have the opportunity to get it first.
- By prepaying for your Maven Box now, you'll help us fund a larger production run. The sooner we're able to place that order, the sooner we'll be able to make the Plié Wand available for everyone. The sooner the Plié Wand becomes available for everyone, the sooner your friends will get their own and stop borrowing yours. Everyone wins! (Especially you, since you'll get a Plié Wand and two new Plié-compatible nail colors for $19.99.)
- If I don’t pre-order, will I still be able get it in my May Maven Box?
- We’ve been thrilled with the initial response to our crowdfunding effort and anticipate that all Mavens will have the option to get a Plié Wand in May. Reserve yours today so you will be one of the first to receive it when available.
- Can Mavens choose a different crowdfunding option?
- The only crowdfunding option that counts against your May Maven Box charge is Just for Mavens. However, you’re more than welcome to choose one of the other options (there are some fun choices there!) …FYI, the dotter and striper will be available as add-ons in May at great Maven pricing.
- When will I get my Plié Wand?
- The first Plié Wands will ship as part of May Maven Boxes. We expect that the rest will ship later in May.
- Where can the Plié Wand be shipped?
- Currently we can only ship within the US and to Canada.
- Is this a nail art tool?
- Not exactly. The Plié Wand was designed to improve the overall ergonomics of nail polishing. But because so many of our customers are such talented artists, we designed a dotting tool and striping brush so it can be used for nail art too. We encourage you to try them out and get creative!
- I'm not a Maven, but I'd like to be.
- You're in for a treat. Start here.
- Are your polish caps changing?
- We'll start transitioning to our new Plié-compatible caps in May. You can also purchase new caps to use with your existing Julep nail polishes.
- I want to create a custom color, but there's already a polish with my name.
- Whether you're naming a polish after yourself or in honor of a woman who inspires you, we'll work with you to find a solution.
- Have questions?
- Email email@example.com